Obituary of Cheryl & Bill Potter (née Romagnoli)
On the evening of Friday, November 18, 2022, Cheryl passed onto her next adventure, surrounded by love.
Her passing came after an unexpected and rapid illness and she is now back on the road again with her late husband Bill who recently predeceased her in February, 2020.
Cheryl was born to the late William 'Bill' & Charlotte Romagnoli and grew up in Beamsville. At the age of 17, she courageously set off alone to explore Europe. Her experiences on this journey set the stage for her life of adventurous travel and exploration.
In 1983 she met William 'Bill' Potter while working at Frado's. They married in 1986 in Las Vegas and settled in St. Catharines, working hard on creating a welcoming home that was host to many good times with friends & family.
In 2002, she and Bill hit the road to explore North America in their RV. The years thereafter were filled with incredible memories built with friends along the way.
After 15 years of travelling, they returned to St. Catharines and extensively renovated their final home. After Bill became ill and passed away in 2020, Cheryl finished the renovation project and was able to pridefully enjoy her home and yard. Her backyard became an oasis for her.
She will be sadly missed by her brother Gary (Diane) Romagnoli, Joan Romagnoli and is predeceased by her brother Dennis (Marilyn) Romagnoli. Grateful for her are her nieces and nephews Debbie, Christopher, Nathan & Lindsey Romagnoli, numerous aunts, an uncle, cousins and many, many special friends.
With her infectious laugh and zest for life, Cheryl was blessed to have made countless friends some of who have remained in her life for over 40 years.
Her final days were challenging but with the attentive care provided by her personal team; Nathan, Lindsey & Joan Romagnoli & Barbara Labatte, she was surrounded by love until the moment she decided to begin her new journey.
Bill's Obituary is stated below.
Bill died after battling cancer with strength and fortitude at Niagara Health System-St. Catharines Site on Friday, February 21, 2020.
Thankful for a lifetime of memories are his wife Cheryl Potter (nee Romagnoli), his brother Joe (Linda) Potter and his sister Rosemary (Tom) Moffatt. Memories of happy times with his brother-in-law Gary (Diane) Romagnoli and sisters-in-law Joanie and Marilyn Romagnoli and many nieces and nephews.
After 29 years of service to the Niagara Region Water Treatment Plant, Bill happily retired and enjoyed traveling throughout Canada and the USA for 15 years. He and Cheryl made countless friends and memories along the way in their RV travels.
Special thanks to their special friend Barbara Labatte, staff of the Walker Clinic and all caregivers for their support through his journey.
Bill lived an adventurous life filled with many unique memories that will cherished by all who knew him.
Bill's final days evoked many special moments between he and friends and loved ones. Some, so special that sharing with those who loved him seems approrpriate. Below is a conversation held with him as he was communicating via writing on a white board, due to loss of hearing and speech:
"I would like to share with you some conversations that Bill, myself and our friend Barb had on Thursday, before he died. Bill was unable to hear or speak the last 2 days so we used white boards and dry erasers to communicate.
- Cheryl: do you want me to split up your ashes so I can take you on a road trip?
- Bill: yes, that would be great.
- Cheryl: We can get take-out containers....
- Lots of laughs
- Bill: Maybe give some to Barb and anyone else that wants to take me on a road trip....
- Cheryl: We need more containers!
- Barb: Maybe we can use small containers with lids like mouthwash containers...
- More laughs
- Nurse comes in and we tell her our ideas. More Laughs...
- She suggests we use urine sample bottles and proceeds to give us one. (plenty more where they come from!)
- More Laughs
- Bill: to Barb, I am sad because I won't be able to walk you down the aisle if you ever decide to get married.
- Cheryl: Don't think you have to worry she probably wouldn't get married now.
- Barb: I can keep a small container and if it ever happens you will walk down the aisle with me.
- Some tears and hugs
- Bill: I want to go for a ride on Mike's motorcycle.
- Cheryl: OK, I'll tell him...
- Barb leaves and this is some of Bill and My conversation:
- Cheryl: Are you OK with dying?
- Bill: Don't want to live like this.
- Cheryl: I don't want you to live like this either.
- It's OK if you die.
- I will be sad and miss you. We had a good run through the years. I love you ..
- Lots of tears, hugs and kisses
- Bill: Are you tired?
- Cheryl: Yes but do you want me to stay tonight?
- Bill: No I'll be OK. Not going to die tonight."
- I go home to try and sleep and got the dreaded phone call at 3 am., and by 3.10 he slipped away peacefully.
- I just want you all to know that we were both at peace with him dying and that we left nothing unsaid. One never knows where our journeys will take us and we were lucky enough to have many.
- Love You, Bill.
In accordance with their wishes, cremation has taken place.
Due to the first pandemic lockdown, Bill's original Memorial had to unfortunately be canceled. The time has come for us to pay tribute to both of these special people.
We invite you to "Cheryl & Bill's Final Happy Hour" on Sunday, November 27, 2022 at the Centre for Conservation, Glen Elgin Room-Ball's Falls (3292 Sixth Avenue, Lincoln), for visiting from 11 a.m. until 12 noon at which time a tribute to their lives will be held, followed by a reception and toast to their lives untl 4 p.m. A live stream link will be made available below this announcement in green.
Their interments will follow at Vineland Cemetery 4025 Martin Road at King Street, Vineland) on Friday, December 2, 2022 at 11 a.m. We welcome anyone to attend. Please meet inside of the Maple Road gates at 10:55 a.m. We also encourage you to bring a note, photo or small token to place inside of their urn vault if you wish.
Please share your favourite memories, photos and sentiments of their lives here on Cheryl's memorial web page. Donations in her name can be made to the Walker Family Cancer Care Centre, the Terry Fox Foundation or the Rankin Cancer Run by using the Donations tab on her home page.
Uniquely entrusted to eco Cremation & Burial Services Inc.
- Modern Funerals -
Topic: Cheryl and Bill's Last Happy Hour
Time: Nov 27, 2022 11:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Triubte Commencing at 12 noon per above agenda.
Friends are reminded to ensure they have their Zoom ready for viewing with volume on high and that no technical assistance will be made available.
Join "Cheryl & Bill's Final Happy Hour" here
Meeting ID: 820 1890 2693
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,82018902693# US (Washington DC)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 305 224 1968 US
+1 309 205 3325 US
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 360 209 5623 US
+1 386 347 5053 US
+1 507 473 4847 US
+1 564 217 2000 US
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 646 931 3860 US
+1 669 444 9171 US
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 689 278 1000 US
+1 719 359 4580 US
+1 253 205 0468 US
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 820 1890 2693
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbfkLG3Q1